How to Switch from Hong Kong to Alberta Insurance


Note: Alberta car insurance companies compete on the basis of price, coverage, and service. It is recommended that you contact a licensed Alberta insurance broker who can check rates for you from several Alberta insurance companies.

To insure and register your vehicle in Alberta after you've moved from the Hong Kong, you will need to do the following:

What kind of documents should I bring if I'm moving from Hong Kong to Alberta?

If you are moving to Alberta from Hong Kong, you should contact your previous insurance company for a Claims Experience Letter. To get a lowered automobile insurance rate with some Alberta companies, you will also need to a Previous Conviction Record, Record of Driving-Offence Points, and Record of Disqualification Orders from the Hong Kong Traffic Conviction Records Office. These documents will help lower your rate of insurance in Alberta, and are a requirement of most Alberta insurance companies.

To order a Claims Experience Letter, you need to contact your previous insurance company. Most Alberta Insurance companies will request for at least 6 years of insurance history (if you have been driving for that long). So, if you have switched insurance companies in the last 6 years, you should get a claims experience letter from each company that you have been insured with during that time.

To obtain the necessary driving records, you will need to fill out an Application for Certificate of Previous Conviction from the Traffic Conviction Records office of Hong Kong. For more information, please visit the official website.

If applicants who live overseas would like to apply the Certificate of Traffic Conviction Record, they can e-mail to Traffic Conviction Records Office, Central Traffic Prosecutions Division at e-mail address : This office will contact with the applicants for special arrangements to their applications. If you have any enquiries, please contact the Traffic Conviction Records Office by phone during office hours (2860 6332) or by email (

How do I get insurance in Alberta when moving from Hong Kong?

Once you have your claim experience letter and appropriate driving records (see above), the next step is to start insurance with an Alberta Automobile Insurance company.

Alberta car insurance companies are privatized and competitive. As such, it is highly recommended that you contact a licensed, experienced insurance broker to help you transfer your insurance from Hong Kong and check multiple insurance companies for the cheapest insurance rate for you.

How do I register my vehicle in Alberta?

After getting Alberta car insurance, you then have to register your vehicle at an Alberta registry. Before going to the registry, you will need the following:

  • Proof of valid Alberta auto insurance (commonly referred to as a "pink card").
  • Bill of sale or current registration of vehicle.
  • If the vehicle is from out of province, an out-of-province inspection report must be provided.

Once you have completed all the above, bring your proof of insurance, your bill of sale (or current vehicle registration) and your out-of-province inspection to an Alberta registry agent. The registry agent will process your information and give you an Alberta license plate as well as registration documents for your vehicle.