How to Switch from New Brunswick to Alberta Insurance


Note: Alberta car insurance rates are among the highest in the country, and typically more costly than Nova Scotia, so it is advisable to consult a licensed Alberta insurance broker can check rates for you from several insurance companies.

If you are moving with your vehicle from Nova Scotia to Alberta, you must obtain an Alberta driver's license as well as Alberta registration and insurance for your vehicle within 90 days of moving to the province, even if you travel outside Alberta during those 90 days. Thus, you should try to switch over insurance and registration as soon as possible.

When moving from New Brunswick to Alberta, the following steps must be taken in order to insure and register your vehicle in Alberta:

What documents do I need to bring when moving from New Brunswick to Alberta?

If you are moving to Alberta from New Brunswick, you should contact your previous insurance company for a Claims Experience Letter. You will also need to obtain a Drivers Abstract from a New Brunswick Motor Vehicle Registry or Service New Brunswick. These documents are required by Alberta insurance companies, and a good driving record will help your car insurance rates in Alberta.

To order a Claims Experience Letter, you need to contact your previous insurance company. Please note that you should obtain at least 6 years of insurance history. So, if you have switched insurance companies in the last 6 years, you should obtain a claims experience letter from every insurance company that you have been insured with over the past 6 years.

To get your New Brunswick Drivers Abstract you may:

  • Telephone Service New Brunswick1-888-762-8600 for information & instructions,

How do I get insurance in Alberta when moving from New Brunswick?

After getting your documents in order (see above), you need to obtain insurance with an Alberta Insurance company. Much like New Brunswick, Alberta insurance companies are privatized and therefore different companies may offer different rates.

Because automobile insurance in Alberta is competitive and Alberta traffic laws differ from other regions, it is highly recommended that you contact a licensed, experienced insurance broker to help you transfer your insurance over and check multiple insurance companies for the cheapest insurance rate for you.

How do I register my vehicle in Alberta?

After getting insured by an Alberta insurance company, you must then register your vehicle at an Alberta registry. Before going to the registry, you will need the following:

  • Proof of valid Alberta auto insurance (commonly referred to as a "pink card").
  • Bill of sale or current Nova Scotia registration of vehicle.
  • If the vehicle is from out of province, an out-of-province inspection report must be provided.

Once you have completed all the above, bring your proof of insurance, your bill of sale (or current Nova Scotia vehicle registration) and your out-of-province inspection to an Alberta registry agent. The registry agent will process your information and give you an Alberta license plate as well as registration documents for your vehicle.