How to Switch from British Columbia to Alberta Insurance


Note: Before doing anything, it is a good idea to contact a licensed Alberta insurance agent or broker.

Please note that when you are moving to Alberta and bringing your vehicle BC, you must obtain an Alberta driver's license as well as Alberta registration and insurance for your vehicle within 90 days of moving to the province, even if you travel outside Alberta during those 90 days.

If you are moving from British Columbia to Alberta, you should be aware that there may be differences between the two provinces when it comes to auto insurance. The following steps must be taken to successfully insure and register your vehicle in Alberta:

What documents do I need to bring when moving from BC to Alberta?

When switching your auto insurance from BC to Alberta, you need a copy of your British Columbia Driving Record, as well as a copy of your Insurance Coverage History/Claims Experience Letter.

Your driving record shows when your original license was licensed and any driving offences from the last five years. Your coverage history & claims experience letter gives a detailed listing of any insurance policies that you have been insured under, as well as any claims for which you have been deemed more than 25% at fault.

Both of these required documents can be obtained by contacting ICBC:

ICBC Customer Contact:
Telephone: 1-800-950-1498
Fax: (604)646-7400

How do I obtain insurance in Alberta?

Once you have obtained the required documents (see above), your next step is to obtain insurance with an Alberta Insurance company. Unlike British Columbia, where all insurance and registration is through ICBC, insurance in Alberta is privatized and therefore it is up to you, the consumer, to obtain automobile insurance through one of the many insurance companies.

Because automobile insurance in Alberta is competitive and Alberta traffic laws differ from other regions, it is highly recommended that you contact a licensed, experienced insurance broker to help you transfer your insurance over.

How do I register my vehicle in Alberta?

Once you have obtained insurance in Alberta, the next step is to register your vehicle. Before going to the registry, you will need the following:

  • Proof of valid Alberta auto insurance (commonly referred to as a "pink card").
  • Bill of sale or current BC registration of vehicle.
  • If the vehicle is from out of province, an out-of-province inspection report must be provided.

Once you have completed all the above, bring your proof of insurance, your bill of sale (or current BC vehicle registration) and your out-of-province inspection to an Alberta registry agent. The registry agent will process your information and give you an Alberta license plate as well as registration documents for your vehicle.